1Australian Strategic Services
The new Aged Care Quality Standards (ACQS) make explicit that the governing body is ultimately responsible for the delivery of safe and quality care and services.
Data ACQS compliance from 2020 showed that Standard 8 was one of the standards with highest rates of non-compliance.
All boards, in partnership with their CEOs and Executives, can recognise and fulfil their role in ensuring the delivery of safe and quality care and services through:
- Integrating relevant organisational governance policies and procedures into their existing governance system (some people use the words governance policies and procedures or board charter); and
- Adopting an organisational wide systems approach – known as “governance systems” within the Standards – that is consistent contemporary corporate governance principles and practices.
In this presentation Aaron will focus on:
- What are a board’s responsibilities under ACQS Standard 8 Organisational Governance?
- How these responsibilities are consistent with a board’s more traditional corporate governance roles and responsibilities.
- How strong contemporary corporate governance is a pre-requisite to meeting ACQS Standard 8 Organisational Governance.
- Providing a practical and integrated approach that can be used by a board to put in place a contemporary governance model, structure, policies and procedures, practices and reporting that should meet or exceed the Requirements ACQS Standard 8 Organisational Governance.
- The importance of directors continuing to apply a wide lens when assessing whether they have fulfilled their governance roles and responsibilities; the ACQS being but one piece of regulation imposing governance obligations on boards.
A Senior Consultant with Australian Strategic Services for over 5 years Aaron assists boards and individual directors to not only understand what their duties at law are but the future aged care and healthcare looks like. He has worked with a wide variety of aged care and health care boards, chief executive officers and executives on a range of projects including detailed review of where the Board’s or organisations documentation and processes sit against standards, quality frameworks and legislation, board assessments and reviews, drafting and documenting enterprise/organisation wide governance and risk management frameworks, strategic planning, business development, amalgamations and mergers and industry big picture trends and research.